I Need to Travel. How can I protect myself?
by Sam Everingham
Posted on 2020-03-22 at 03:41:56
Many intended parents need to travel abroad in the coming weeks and months for the birth of their child(ren) via cross-border surrogacy. Chinese healthcare authorities now have the best understanding of Co-Vid-19, how it spreads and how to prevent this. Note that animals cannot spread the virus. If you are travelling to a high risk country (eg USA) in the months ahead, please follow these guidelines to give yourself the best chance of avoiding CoVid-19
- Maintain at least 1 metre (3 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth as your Hands touch many surfaces and can pick up viruses. This can be hard to remember to do, so wearing face masks can help
- Avoid physical contact when greeting others
- Covid-19 can survive on metallic surfaces for up to 9 days, so wash metallic surfaces regularly. Try to avoid touching handrails etc
- Wash your hands every 20 minutes with an alcohol-based hand rub or with soap that foams. Do this for 20 seconds
- Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed, but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and where it lies.
- The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat. That is why soap or detergent is the best remedy, because the foam CUTS the fat. By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down on its own.
- HEAT melts fat; this is why it is so good to use water above 25 degrees Celsius for washing hands, clothes. In addition, hot water makes more foam and that makes it even more useful.
- Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DISSOLVES the external lipid layer of the virus (eg Listerine)
- Any mix with 1 part bleach and 5 parts water dissolves the protein.
- While it is on a surface, it disintegrates only between: 3 hours (fabric and porous) ;4 hours (copper and wood); 24 hours (cardboard); 42 hours (metal) and 72 hours (plastic).
- Dehumidified, dry, warm and bright environments will degrade it faster.
- UV LIGHT breaks down the virus protein
- The virus CANNOT go through healthy skin.
- Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.
- The more confined the space, the more concentration of the virus. The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.
- Wash your hands before and after touching mucosa, food, locks, knobs, switches, remote control, cell phone, watches, computers, desks, TV, etc. And when using the bathroom.
- Keep your NAILS SHORT so that the virus does not hide there
This pandemic situation has brought everyone’s life to a standstill. So, if you are an intended parent looking for a surrogacy program, there are certain precautions and factors you must consider beforehand. Are agencies still operating surrogacy programs during the Covid-19 outbreak? Nearly all surrogacy agencies continue to accept intended parents, although in Georgia new […]
Three Australian jurisdictions – NSW, ACT & Queensland – have laws criminalising overseas surrogacy. However like the long outdated provisions criminalising abortion in NSW, these are laws which have never been prosecuted. In fact even when the rare case has been referred to the Director of Public Prosecutions, they have declined to take action. There […]
Giving Food to the hungry; Hope to the needy; Life to a baby Together keeping babies healthy as only breastmilk can. I am excited about being involved with Growing Families. I have already had the privilege of helping many intending mothers prepare for breastfeeding by assisting them induce lactation. It has been wonderful to support […]