I Need to Travel. How can I protect myself?
by Sam Everingham
Posted on 2020-03-22 at 03:41:56
Many intended parents need to travel abroad in the coming weeks and months for the birth of their child(ren) via cross-border surrogacy. Chinese healthcare authorities now have the best understanding of Co-Vid-19, how it spreads and how to prevent this. Note that animals cannot spread the virus. If you are travelling to a high risk country (eg USA) in the months ahead, please follow these guidelines to give yourself the best chance of avoiding CoVid-19
- Maintain at least 1 metre (3 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth as your Hands touch many surfaces and can pick up viruses. This can be hard to remember to do, so wearing face masks can help
- Avoid physical contact when greeting others
- Covid-19 can survive on metallic surfaces for up to 9 days, so wash metallic surfaces regularly. Try to avoid touching handrails etc
- Wash your hands every 20 minutes with an alcohol-based hand rub or with soap that foams. Do this for 20 seconds
- Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed, but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and where it lies.
- The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat. That is why soap or detergent is the best remedy, because the foam CUTS the fat. By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down on its own.
- HEAT melts fat; this is why it is so good to use water above 25 degrees Celsius for washing hands, clothes. In addition, hot water makes more foam and that makes it even more useful.
- Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DISSOLVES the external lipid layer of the virus (eg Listerine)
- Any mix with 1 part bleach and 5 parts water dissolves the protein.
- While it is on a surface, it disintegrates only between: 3 hours (fabric and porous) ;4 hours (copper and wood); 24 hours (cardboard); 42 hours (metal) and 72 hours (plastic).
- Dehumidified, dry, warm and bright environments will degrade it faster.
- UV LIGHT breaks down the virus protein
- The virus CANNOT go through healthy skin.
- Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.
- The more confined the space, the more concentration of the virus. The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.
- Wash your hands before and after touching mucosa, food, locks, knobs, switches, remote control, cell phone, watches, computers, desks, TV, etc. And when using the bathroom.
- Keep your NAILS SHORT so that the virus does not hide there
Nearly one in five Australian couples venturing abroad choose Canada as their special place to create family (one in three if you only consider gay couples). Eleven couples I know are expecting babies via Canadian surrogacy over the coming five months. They are not alone. Intended parents from dozens of countries, including France, the UK, […]
While Hong Kong, Bangkok and Sydney are popular destinations for good quality IVF, increasing numbers need a surrogate and such services are harder to access. Yet a global audit of surrogacy agencies in 2018 showed China to be in the top three user nations of cross-border surrogacy globally. In the Hong Kong context, while legislation […]
Surrogacy is an exciting journey and an ideal option when you are unable to conceive on your own. However the current Covid-19 pandemic brings added stress to both surrogates and intended parents, particularly when working at a great distance from each other. So during surrogacy arrangements now more than ever, a relaxed mind is essential […]