I Need to Travel. How can I protect myself?
by Sam Everingham
Posted on 2020-03-22 at 03:41:56
Many intended parents need to travel abroad in the coming weeks and months for the birth of their child(ren) via cross-border surrogacy. Chinese healthcare authorities now have the best understanding of Co-Vid-19, how it spreads and how to prevent this. Note that animals cannot spread the virus. If you are travelling to a high risk country (eg USA) in the months ahead, please follow these guidelines to give yourself the best chance of avoiding CoVid-19
- Maintain at least 1 metre (3 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth as your Hands touch many surfaces and can pick up viruses. This can be hard to remember to do, so wearing face masks can help
- Avoid physical contact when greeting others
- Covid-19 can survive on metallic surfaces for up to 9 days, so wash metallic surfaces regularly. Try to avoid touching handrails etc
- Wash your hands every 20 minutes with an alcohol-based hand rub or with soap that foams. Do this for 20 seconds
- Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed, but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and where it lies.
- The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat. That is why soap or detergent is the best remedy, because the foam CUTS the fat. By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down on its own.
- HEAT melts fat; this is why it is so good to use water above 25 degrees Celsius for washing hands, clothes. In addition, hot water makes more foam and that makes it even more useful.
- Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DISSOLVES the external lipid layer of the virus (eg Listerine)
- Any mix with 1 part bleach and 5 parts water dissolves the protein.
- While it is on a surface, it disintegrates only between: 3 hours (fabric and porous) ;4 hours (copper and wood); 24 hours (cardboard); 42 hours (metal) and 72 hours (plastic).
- Dehumidified, dry, warm and bright environments will degrade it faster.
- UV LIGHT breaks down the virus protein
- The virus CANNOT go through healthy skin.
- Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.
- The more confined the space, the more concentration of the virus. The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.
- Wash your hands before and after touching mucosa, food, locks, knobs, switches, remote control, cell phone, watches, computers, desks, TV, etc. And when using the bathroom.
- Keep your NAILS SHORT so that the virus does not hide there
Each October scores of attendees come together in six different Australian capital cities – singles, couples, gay and heterosexual, some in their twenties, some in their fifties. They share a common goal – to create family with the help of yet unknown angels – donors and surrogates. It is these more complex journeys to parenthood […]
It has been our great pleasure and privilege to have worked with Irish couples who have pursued their route to parenthood via surrogacy. It is essential that any person who is considering pursuing surrogacy as a route to parenthood must ensure that they are as fully informed about the process as is possible, that they […]
This guest blog is from Australian mum Jessie Schuhart McRae who will speak at the 4 July Domestic Surrogacy Webinar Infertility isn’t something you ever think about growing up. You fall in love, get married and say one day when we are ready we will start our family. For us we did a lot of […]